By David Ponce
Seriously. The folks at B-Reel have taken a Mindwave headset from Neurosky, a Scalectrix slot car set, a bunch of other parts and hacked together a way to control the cars with your mind. And it works! Concentrate means go, get distracted means stop.
What if you could run a slot car race using your brain? We did a bit of research on this and it didn’t take long to realise we already have all we need to make these ideas come to life; we just needed to connect the dots and find an easier way to integrate different disciplines to make the magic happen.
These are the steps B-Reel went through:
- researched components and library we could have used
- procured a device that reads mind signals, a Scalextric, Arduino, some tools and electric components
- designed a small electronic circuit to connect Arduino to Scalextric
- wrote the Arduino script to control the Scalextric
- wrote a small Processing application to control the car with the computer mouse
- connected the brain reader device signal to the Scalextric
But the proof, as they say, is in the pudding. So do yourself a favor and watch the above video. It’s mostly towards the end that you start seeing the guy actually voluntarily controlling the car, starting and stopping at will. Awesome stuff.