The First Generation Lytro Camera was ahead of its time. Back in 2011 we wrote about it excitedly, since it promised you to be able to “Shoot now, focus later”, allowing you to click on an image to choose the focal point, even after the image was shot. It was a novel, interesting approach to photography, but unfortunately the camera was expensive. Well, it no longer is!
Most cameras capture the position of light rays, producing your average static 2D image. The Lytro dares to be different. Its cutting-edge technology records the direction of these rays, generating images you can later refocus, change perspective within, or view in 3D. You can essentially revisit the scene of the photo—meaning you’ll never miss snapping the perfect shot again.
– Take “living pictures” you can adjust afterwards
– Refocus your shots, change their perspective & view them in 3D
– Record 11-million light rays in each scene
– Store up to 750 photos at one time
– Easily carry it anywhere: design is compact, durable & lightweight
– Shoot photos at an optimal resolution for sharing online
– Access an array of tools including photo filters & uploading software
– Includes a sleek, durable carrying and storage sleeve to protect against lens scuffs and scratches
It’s a brilliant product, but not necessarily one that you’d want to pay $200 to try out. At $79.99 as it is in today’s deal, however, it’s a different story.