Rotel Tours Feature A Hotel On Wheels

Rotel Tours Feature A Hotel On Wheels

Rotel Bus Tour (Images courtesy Jalopnik)

Flat folding seats and semi-private mini berths in the first-class cabins of some airlines have made traveling on an international red-eye as comfortable as spending the night in a hotel. But let’s face it, those seats are not priced for travelers on a budget. So hopefully these Rotel Tours buses are.

Think of them as a combination of a Greyhound bus and a motorhome, minus any of the luxuries of the latter. Each passenger is privy to a 6 foot long bed, though each bunk is only about 3 feet wide by 3 feet high. A single bathroom is located on the bus, but as you’ve probably already guessed, there are no shower or bathing facilities, so apparently every tour makes periodic stops giving travelers a chance to ‘freshen up.’ At least there are plenty of windows to open. According to Jalopnik the company has been operating these tours since 1959 and has around 3,400 of these buses! But it’s no wonder I haven’t seen one before given they don’t seem to operate in North America. And you know what? I don’t really feel as if I’m missing out.

[ Rotel Tours ] VIA [ Jalopnik ]

18 responses to “Rotel Tours Feature A Hotel On Wheels”

1. Nikkita Croix says:

They do operate in North America, and you are missing out because they have tours throughout the entire continent and most of the countries in the world.

2. melissa says:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with the author. This doesn't sound like anything to get excited about…. I had more luxury in my dormitory in college.

3. If you like to travel by bus, then this is definitely the way to do it. Although, I don't think they have regular routes like our regular buses. They could be for tourists only.

4. Jessicat says:

One bathroom… with how many people? I can't even share one bathroom with 3 other people.

5. Awesome tours! Luxury. How much service charge per day?

6. allseasonhotel says:

A moving hotel? Sounds fun. It should be a fun experience riding and sleeping at the same time.

7. Hotel SEO says:

Very unique idea, I will give them that lol. I would love to do their marketing that is for sure…so hint hint to the owners of this hotel on wheels. Sadly for me, I would be motion sick so fast.

8. Hotel SEO says:

9. A hotel on a bus? Quite awesome stuff there. Where can I find these kind of bus and how much it cost per day?

10. Cheap hotels says:

I think its good to stay here because its a moving hotel which is really unique and fun to experience with. I wonder now how much is the reservation or stay to this kind of hotel, I hope its only in a cheap price so that a lot of people can afford it.

11. Cheap Hotels says:

WOW 🙂
    Nice idea, I like it!

12. gigurdjieff says:

As original as it may be, I think it's not very comfortable to sleep on a 6 foot long bed, in a bunk 3 feet wide by 3 feet high. I would much rather sleep at any of the Hotels in New York than take Rotel sleeping bus.

13. Sumdalus says:

Saw my first Rotel Tour bus at the Grand Canyon National Park in AZ (Jul 2010). What a novel idea. The bus I saw had 25 people onboard, including the driver/cook. Everyone was very happy and having a great time. I might try this way of touring sometime.

14. opaler says:

When it come to accident no place is safe we must be always ready for what may happen to us along the way embracing our life everyday would be a great idea

Read more: http://www.portfolio.com/business-travel/2010/0

15. summerfails says:

What are you going to do with the money you don’t spend on this trip? Having a prize in mind helps keep me focused on saving. I have a pool of money I can afford to part with here in Argentina. Any money I take home will go into my high interest savings account towards my next savings goal: paying off our car loan. My goal is to shave time off that deadline by bringing home enough unspent “travel money” to make a full months’ car payment.

16. Sounds fun. It should be a fun experience riding and sleeping at the same time.

17. Rotel Tours bus is helpful where we do not want to spend daytime for traveling. We can cover long journey at night with sleeping bus and yet get a home like feel while travelling.