Breathing Chair Makes Plant Cells Comfortable

Breathing Chair Makes Plant Cells Comfortable

squishchair
By Evan Ackerman

No matter how many branches you pile on the floor of your living room, you’re not likely to make yourself a comfy chair. As it turns out, the reason for this is simply that you’re not using big enough branches… If you use a branch big enough that you can see its individual cells, and you carve it into a block, and then use magic to make it squishy, you end up with what looks to be a spectacularly comfortable chair.

Yu-Ying Wu’s “Breathing Chair” is, indeed, based on plant cells. The bigger cells are more flexible than the smaller cells, so when you sit in it, the carefully calculated network naturally forms an arm chair. It’s made out of a 100% environmentally friendly foam plastic that’s sproingy enough to give you a little boost as you stand up, too. The chair received a Red Dot Design Award earlier this year, which could mean that someone’s going to pick it up for production.

VIA [ Core77 ]

8 responses to “Breathing Chair Makes Plant Cells Comfortable”

1. Jessicat says:

I want one so badly right now, they look so comfy. Can I get them in Black? It is so interesting.

2. chaosoldier says:

This seems like it would be really awesome, It will be interesting to see the price point on these. I can see it now Replace all my furniture in my living room with these, that would be awesome.

3. mcman says:

Can't say that I'm not impressed. I wouldn't mind having one of these Japanese marvels.

4. ojone87 says:

looks pretty comfortable, would be a conversation peace for sure. all i can seem to think when i look at is is falling in and getting lost

5. chaosoldier says:

Well those of us that are normal size probably don't have to worry about that. If your Atom Ant sized you might want to start thinking of that as an issue.

6. bakuteh says:

IMHO, this looks warped..

7. Zotel says:

I suppose this would be perfect when throwing a party for people you never want to visit again. Just replace all your chairs with these things, and they'll never know to sit on them.

8. Zotel says: