For behind the scenes pictures, stories and special contests, follow us on Facebook!
Subscribe:

Video: Slow Motion Lightning Filmed From An Aircraft

By Evan Ackerman

I totally appreciate how awesome this video is, but it seems to me that an aircraft might not be the smartest place to be in the middle of a lightning storm. But hey, what do I know, I’m just one of those weird people who likes not dying.

Actually, aircraft are quite safe from lightning. It is estimated that each commercial aircraft gets struck about once a year, but the lightning gets safely conducted over the skin of the plane and never makes it inside. Much better than standing under a tree.

VIA [ Fark ]








  • http://www.facebook.com/people/David-Ebert/1151623436 David Ebert

    as an aircrafs is made of metal, it's practically one of the safest places to be during lightnings.. an aircraft behaves like a Faraday cage.
    basic physics.

  • enostrum

    1.- Faraday Cages conduct electricity. Not waves.
    2.- Lightings are not waves.
    3.- Planes are made of plastic. Weight reasons.

    BASIC COMMON SENSE

  • Tyranosopher

    As long as the aircraft is made of metal. Lightning disintegrates plastic winglets at the end of Airbus' wings. How the majority plastic Boeing 787 will do is open to question.

    Although the A 330-200 that went down in a lightning storm was made of 90% metal, we are left to conemplate what happened to the remaining 10%…

    Patrice Ayme
    https://patriceayme.wordpress.com/

  • Tyranosopher

    As long as the aircraft is made of metal. Lightning disintegrates plastic winglets at the end of Airbus' wings. How the majority plastic Boeing 787 will do is open to question.

    Although the A 330-200 that went down in a lightning storm was made of 90% metal, we are left to conemplate what happened to the remaining 10%…

    Patrice Ayme
    https://patriceayme.wordpress.com/