Rolex Makes Official Time Sand?

Rolex Makes Official Time Sand?

Rolex Timesand (Image courtesy 1/6 (artmarcovici)

I guess it makes sense that if an hourglass were to have any chance of accurately providing some measure of time, the sand would have to be of a uniform size, consistency and texture. And if any company on Earth were qualified to produce a sand used for timekeeping, it would be Rolex. A single bag of Time Sand flowing through a standard hourglass is the equivalent of 30 days, and the pallets and pallets of sand you see below represent a generous estimation of an average human lifespan. (81 years)

Rolex Timesand (Image courtesy 1/6 (artmarcovici)

The pallets of Rolex Time Sand were part of an art installation created by Michael Marcovici who’s also known for an installation where he stacked 10 million $100 US bills on 12 pallets to visually represent what $1,000,000,000 looks like.

[ 1/6 (artmarcovici) – Rolex Time Sand ] VIA [ bookofjoe ]

23 responses to “Rolex Makes Official Time Sand?”

1. Charles says:

I will just stick with my Walmart brand Time Sand

2. mil says:

where do I buy this?

3. Yeah, but then you end up with pebbles, cigarette butts and blasting caps mixed in there.

4. Nathan says:

Who stole the sand??
    Is it me, or is the artist ripping everyone off? He claims that there are 81 years worth (972 bags), firstly he is working on a 30-day month, so actually there is only 79.8 years, but wait . . theres more. It looks to me that there are 8 bags per lay, 6 layers per pallet, 18 pallets, that only 864 bags of sand, which is only 71 years worth of sand!!

5. Pieter says:

Nathan…. get a life would you…..

6. Martin says:

I noticed that too, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that he was trying to short us 10 years

7. Nathan says:

Thanks Pieter, I can only imagine how happy the world would [not] be if we were all as negative as you!

8. Mullet Man says:

Good, I need something to fuel my time circuits after the nuclear reacter went out. Trust me I had only done this once before…

9. Now we're gonna start seeing Rolex knockoff time sand on the streets. “Hey man, wanna buy official Rolex time sand? Only 50 bucks!”

“Uh, sure, but why does it say Bolex?”

“Naw man, misspellings make it even more valuable, like that upside down plane on that stamp, remember?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Didn't you see Brewster's Millions?”

“Oh that's right. But your time sand is just a bag of flour that you wrote Bolex on.”

“…”

“…”

“Wanna buy a bag of flour?”

René

10. Now we're gonna start seeing Rolex knockoff time sand on the streets. “Hey man, wanna buy official Rolex time sand? Only 50 bucks!”

“Uh, sure, but why does it say Bolex?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Didn't you see Brewster's Millions?”

“…”

“…”

“Wanna buy a bag of flour?”

René

11. stangzilla says:

u also forgot the fact that the month of Feb. is even shorter. i think he was using the same formula when he stacked the $100 bills so he could pocket a bunch of dough!!!

12. AngelicDirt says:

Well, this is the most useless product in the world. 9_9;;;

13. Blowjobdeeplongtime says:

Slowly sucking..

14. Blowjobdeeplongtime says:

Slowly sucking..

15. eventmagazine says:

So if you put all of that sand in one big hourglass shape and took out the bung and let the sand flow just as someome was born they you could pretty much see your life passing before you…….how grim is that?

16. kraigkidfucker says:

17?

17. kraigkidfucker says:

The fact that it was shorter would give you more time in the sand….but alot of months have 31 days. Worked out based on 30 day months the answer is 72 not 71

18. kraigkidfucker says:

17?

19. kraigkidfucker says:

20. damnit im blind where r u?