$5500 Solar Powered Car (Only In China)

$5500 Solar Powered Car (Only In China)

By Colin Ackerman

This little car is completely solar powered. Designed by Zhejiang’s 001 Group, the solar panels on the roof require 30 hours of sunlight to top the car off, giving it a maximum range of 150 km. Astute observers of nature may have realized that you can’t get 30 hours of sunlight a day (not in the latitudes of China, anyway), so fully charging the car is easily a four or five day process. Weather permitting. But, it’s a completely free, hands-off, eco-friendly process, and if you’re just running errands, an hour of full sun will buy you 5 km of juice. There isn’t much additional information about this car, such as whether or not there’s also a gas engine under there or if there’s also a plug-in option. I certainly hope there is some kind of plan b, because darkness and/or bad weather are precisely when you need a car the most.

Only 10 of these cars have been produced so far, at $5500 each, available only in China.

[ Gasgoo ] VIA [ AutoblogGreen ]

17 responses to “$5500 Solar Powered Car (Only In China)”

1. well a good concept
    In the time of roaring oil prices
    Convectional cars are necessary

2. Porsche Blog says:

3. Used Cars says:

Wow – that is a very cool car. Terrific idea too. I wonder how long it will take before they are available in the United States. I'd certainly be first in line to get one.

4. Busby says:

This car is very innovative but is funny…

5. I was shopping for a used car recently, but wish I had come across one of these – very nice!

6. TestSEO says:

pretty good design solar car..

7. wow! i like it!I am very fond of small cars,it's convenient and comfortable to use.

8. wow! i like it!I am very fond of small cars,it's convenient and comfortable to use.

9. Looks like a nice car for a country like India where they have sunny weather for almost round the year.

10. Primo Fiorentini says:

nice article! nice site. you're in my rss feed now 😉
    keep it up

11. Tips Photo says:

Good concept but wouldn't be good fro a place that rains all the time.

12. this is the kind of car we should have ovre here

13. onhighbeam says:

now that's some kind of a solar powered car! though I really like the concept itself but I really hate the design… better think twice before having one for sure…

14. Robin says:

Solar powered cars are frequently designed in exceptionally remarkable shapes because designers of this particular car are focused on eliminating several dragging factors, reducing weight and maximizing full exposure to the sun rays. http://solar-powered-cars.info/

15. cardealers2342 says:

Good concept. I wonder how much to ship to the US

16. AZ Solar says:

My parents just had their home converted to solar…it is impressive.

17. AZ Solar says:

My parents just had their home converted to solar…it is impressive.